Sunday 27 April 2008

Our Mother (Cntd)


Below, Scott Hahn continues his reflection on the importance of seeing Mary as Our Mother.
In my personal life, I've found the Blessed Mother to be a great intercessor, as she was at the wedding feast in Cana.
Some very misguided people try to claim that Catholics make a goddess of the Blessed Virgin. But that is an abominable fiction. As much as we exalt Mary above our own sinful selves, we recognize that she is more like us than she is like God. She is still a creature, though a most wonderful creature. God himself exalted her to show us both the greatness of our human nature and the all-surpassing greatness of divine grace.


Even the early Protestant reformers never called for a wholesale rejection of the Marian dogmas. Luther and Calvin believed, for example, in Mary's perpetual virginity. Luther even believed in the Assumption and the Immaculate Conception, centuries before the Church solemnly defined it. Not until later generations would Christians come to such a far-reaching rejection of Mary's place in salvation history. In fact, the roots of Marian devotion go back to the Old Testament.
Similarly to Scott Hahn, I cant underestimate the importance of the role of Mary in my life. I came back to the Church after a visit to Lourdes, my mother always prayed the memorare for me whenever I found things difficult; the rosary has been a bedrock of my prayer life since coming home to the Church.
Apart of the new evangelization is asking ourselves what we're like, what our strengths and weaknesses are, what our vocation in life is all about. For this, we can look to Our Lady; she is the star of the sea, who guides the sailors on the sea's of life back to the shore in Heaven as the great St. Thomas Aquinas once said.
Maybe, you could join with me in this prayer which has been so important in my life and dedicate this for conversion, not only for others, but for ourselves too.
Remember O most gracious virgin Mary, that never was it known, that anyone who fled to thy protection and implored thine intercession, was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence I fly unto thee, O virgin of virgins my mother. To thee I come, before thee I stand sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but hear and answer me, Amen.
Our Lady of Lourdes - Ora pro Nobis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice blog..

Anonymous said...

nice blog..